Thursday, January 12, 2012

DIY Cleansers

A number of posts back I wrote Michelle Duggar's laundry detergent recipe with changes that I have made to it for our family's use.  Now I'd like to share some recipes for household cleansers.

I love these!  I really did not think I would.  I made four in just a few moments and with a minimal expense.  I should note that I had the ingredients on hand - and each bottle only took a few drops or teaspoons.  A couple of the ingredients are not the norm, so might need to be found at a health food store, but that's what makes these so great of products!  (check Grain Train and Oleson's)

The favorite of the bunch is the sink and tub cleanser.  Mix in a pourable bowl, unless you have a funnel, because it's thicker and will bubble and foam up some.  Plus, this should be in a squirt bottle, not a spray bottle due to the thickness.
Recipe:- 2/3 Cup baking soda
- 1/2 Cup castile soap
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 Cup water
- A few drops of Tea Tree oil
This stuff did not seem all that impressive, but once I tried it on our 2nd sink in the kitchen - the one I fondly call the "Garbage Sink", holding the cuttings from the salad, the spilled coffee grounds, etc. - the sink just shown like the moon!  (And lately that's saying a lot!  Anyone venture outside at night with that full moon?  Oh, I digress...)  And the smell - if you like Tea Tree and its super clean scent - is great!  So this one gets an A+ from me.

The second cleanser is a grease cutter, for in a spray bottle.  I have a glass top stove so this one will do nicely for the top.  
Recipe:  2 Cups water
- 1/4 Cup castile soap
- 10 drops lavender oil
The scent is wonderful and it does the job nicely!  I felt I needed to dry the top with a lint free towel and then it really gleamed.  I am still working through the baggage of having a Dutch mom :)  She was and is the best cleaner around.  So cleansers, cloths and towels, even buckets, all have to perform properly because in the back of my mind I am thinking, "Would this pass mom's tests?"  This stuff is good.  We don't fry much - except for eggs in the morning - so grease is not a really big issue, but now I have this on hand just in case.

The third one is an anti-bacterial spray and freshener.  Great smelling and easy to make!
Recipe: 
1 Cup water
- 20 drops lavender essential oil 
I could see spritzing this on some door handles and backs of chairs, where hands have been, and also freshening the house in a natural way.  The beauty of these cleansers is that they are so natural - and easy on my hands and head!  The strong chemical cleansers leave me dizzy and needing air.  When I was younger not so much - but now that my brain cells are at a premium, need every ONE of those babies, these sprays are seeming so mild and yet hard workers.

The final cleanser is an all purpose cleanser - for counters and such.  This goes in a spray bottle, but mix it up in a large bowl, maybe even inside the sink, since it will suds and bubble.  I usually use a "hot soapy" cloth on our counters which works well, but this spray even improved upon that!  
Recipe: - 3 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon washing soda - not baking soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon castile soap
- 2 Cups hot water 
The spray bottles I filled were from Family Dollar.  For $1.50 they are large, around 16 ounces, and the sprayer will do a mist to a stream.  There's even a spot to write the recipe on the bottle for the next fill up!  Somebody was thinkin'.  The cleanser above worked great on mist, with a damp cloth.  

The real test will be when my mom comes over and wants to clean something.  (There's never been a time when there wasn't something to clean, sadly.)  If these babies pass her inspection, then I say everyone on the planet should try them.  Again, the bonuses besides cost are that as I type this my kitchen smells great, looks great, is probably more germ free, and my hands are still soft - not all dry and stiff from chemicals like Comet or Lysol, and I can think (pretty) clearly, too, from the fresh scent vs. the chemical smells.  

Enjoy!  And please let me know if you like them!  Special thanks to the Pinterest posts  - many of them - for DIY household cleansers!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment