Saturday, April 14, 2012

Revisiting Mom's Comment

Back at Thanksgiving, my mom made a comment about a corner cupboard that I had purchased and placed in the dining room. She wasn't wild about it.  Actually she said she'd get rid of 'that thing' if she were me.  It was dated and a little out of character for our house and decorating.  Oh, I liked that cupboard, though, so I decided it needed to become a priority for a redo.


During the short, bearable winter here in northern Michigan (that's the first time I've ever had the privilege to express those feelings about our winters!!),  Anthony hauled the cupboard downstairs to the craft room for me.  The inspiration I was getting for the cupboard would have it end up in Laney's room, which I have decorated with black and cream toile for bed clothes and curtain.  Laney is using a den-type room as her bedroom, so it's not really decorated for a young girl, but it's pretty and comfortable, and her own!  


First I lightly sanded the cabinet, since the previous owner had toiled on handpainted florals along the top.  Then I applied a gloss cream paint.  When dry, I applied a 'crackle medium' which is clear and dries quickly.  Once that's dry I painted black acrylic craft paint carefully but quickly, watching the 'crackles' appear as it dried.  It was exactly the look I was going for!  


I had some black and cream toile left over from the curtain, so I stapled it where the glass would have been in the doors of the cabinet.  


The family gave it mixed reviews; but Laney loves it, and I do, too!  The whole toile obesession thing - not sure if it's ever going to end.  Fifteen years ago when we built this house, my husband suggested I not commit to any of the toile fabrics or dishes that I had selected, since I would probably 'grow tired of them.'  Ha.  I am still wild about them - and they've come very much in style, too. 








Lord willing, we have another project coming up - a house project - and just maybe I'll do some toile things there....

No comments:

Post a Comment