Friday, December 16, 2011

Easy fun sweater to pillow project

Thanks to my friend, Kelly, at Restitch Me, I look at fabrics and clothes with new eyes.  Kelly has a knack for crafting and sewing beautiful creations - perfectly done.  She's inspiring.  Back in my personal reality, I like to hack and stitch, crossing my fingers as to the outcome.  My older daughters will all attest to that feeling in the pit of one's stomach when, over the years, I've asked them if they needed me to 'refashion' a dress or fit it more properly.  How does one say, "Uh, mom, I'm just not sure you're going to get it right...."  I can take it.  And I continue to learn things as a self-taught sewer.  (I refuse to call myself a seamstress.  Kelly is a seamstress - accomplished and talented.)

I think it was through Kelly's blog that I saw sweaters being turned into the cutest throw pillow covers.  Phil had a couple of Cabela's vests with plenty of knit with which to work.  I picked up a couple of $1 pillows at the Goodwill - I just want the pillow form inside, so they can be ugly.  Make sure to smell them - if they are smokey from cigarettes it'll be wafting all over your house.

The buttons on the front of the vest, I thought, would look best running along one side.  Turn the vest inside out, fold with the buttons off to the side, and sew around the perimeter, a little smaller than the pillow form so it's snug.  After trying to sew through a wooden button a couple times, (the button wins, by the way), both covers were done.  With a cardigan or vest it was possible to sew all the way around, no need to leave an opening to turn right side out, since I just unbuttoned them to turn and insert the pillow forms.

I like them.  And the girls, who are a difficult audience to impress after all the duds over the years, liked them, too.  They almost seemed impressed.  Almost.  Well, maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment