Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Making Arrangements...

Each year for about eight years now I make floral and greenery arrangements or centerpieces to give as Christmas gifts for some family and friends.  I love to make them, mostly because of the flowers.  If I could, I'd have fresh flowers in every room all the time!

This year Laney helped me quite a bit.  In years past the older girls have pitched in and the guys always cut the greens.  This year my sister-in-law had leftover greens from her wreath and kissing ball projects - which turned out beautifully - and so the guys did not even have to lift a finger.
The beautiful and inspiring Kissing Ball!!

After buying a few carnations and roses, Laney and I collected the other supplies that I bought throughout the year when I saw them on sale.  I especially watched for the baskets and vases or bowls that might look nice within which to build the arrangements.


Bucket holding wet foam under water

Miscellaneous bases


Phil's table
Oh, I forgot.  At the Christmas Tea last week I saw a beautiful arrangement made from three birch logs.  Phil happened to ask me if I needed any birch logs just the other day - he was getting rid of some from which he had made a really cool rustic table, so I asked for a few of the three-log bases.  He made some and tonight Laney and I fancied one up.
We delivered this one right away - to the Kissing Ball family.
 I need to bring them a bow
for around the candle.  Oops.

Laney was given the china bowl - a small one - to do an arrangement within.  I used one of the sleighs.

Wet foam is the green stuff used by florists.  Soak it in a bucket of water, trim to fit, and the stab in the greens and  flowers. It's that easy. It'll usually keep the flowers looking good for up to a week, especially if the recipients add water.

I like to use a candle in most of them, but Laney's was just too small.  It'll be nice on the recipient's side table, not as a centerpiece.

Laney's creation

1st one - sleigh base.






We finished six in about one hour.  Next year I told her she could be the big boss and I'll be her helper.





This morning, while it was still dark, I finished the rest so I could clean up the kitchen!
I have to call my neighbor and ask her what colors she's decorated
with this year.  Then I'll decide which one to send.

This one is for a lady who has the perfect mix of rustic elegance in her home;
I think she'll like the black, even though it's Christmas.

I'm not sure who's getting this one - maybe the neighbors?



No comments:

Post a Comment